Once upon a time, Jen Sincero was in a punk band called ‘Crotch.’ The struggle in the band was real, she said last week at a book signing at Changing Hands bookstore in Phoenix. “Back in those days, I couldn’t even buy a cup of coffee,” she confessed.
As it turns out, she had much better success at writing. Her book ‘You are a Badass’ came out in 2013 and quickly shot to #1 on the New York Times bestseller list. I was among those who made it a bestseller. Her book was a staple of my summer reading list that year. Friends and I devoured chapter after chapter. We did all the exercises. Then we’d get on the phone and talk about our experiences. Amazing things happened for us. It was cool and motivating, just like Jen Sincero.
Hot off the presses comes Sincero’s newest book ‘You are a Badass at Making Money’ I was lucky enough to get a seat at Changing Hands for her book tour through Phoenix. The place was packed. It was standing room only. If you weren’t able to get there yourself, here are some quotes, highlights, and takeaways from the event.
- Get uncomfortable all the time. It’s going to get scary but it’s better than mediocrity.
- You don’t have to know all the steps. You will learn [what you need to know] when you take action. You will learn what works and what sucks.
- This is your only shot to be you on this planet.
- When you have determination, it’s better than elbow grease.
- We don’t credit what we’ve been doing all of our lives and who we are. Give yourself credit.
- You will lose people when you change. When you are bigger and bolder, people close to you will feel the loss and the fear.
- Believe in who you want to be.
- Surround yourself with people who support you.
- Share your hopes and dreams with people who believe you will kick some ass.
- Just keep going. Enjoy the work and it will feel authentic.
- Trust that you will figure it out.
- Done is better than perfect. Get in the game.
- Be authentic. Even when I was a fast food driver serving chicken, it was me. I loved to drive, I loved chicken.
- You will come up with excuses that will keep you exactly where you are. Do something, on a daily basis, that scares you.
In my coaching calls with clients, I often find myself saying these same things: You can do this! You can make a difference! Go for it! I hope these quotes from writing rockstar and badass Jen Sincero inspire and motivate you as much as they have me.
Just like Jen Sincero, I’ll be signing my book ‘Exploring Productivity’ at the 22nd Annual Women In Business Conference on May 24th. Join me!
Margo Crawford is a Productivity Expert and Certified Coach with Wave Productivity. She works with entrepreneurs, small business owners, and business professionals to help them get more focused, organized and productive in their workplace. Via phone she coaches nationally and in person in Phoenix, Providence and Massachusetts. If you want to get more organized in your office call 602-677-8275 or email [email protected].